Wednesday, September 30, 2015

PORK (get in my) BELLY!


For months I have been wanting to try pork belly.  Seems like it's all the talk on the Food Network, but every store I went to had the same claim, "Oh, yeah.  Pork belly.  We get that sometimes, but we don't have any now."  I almost gave up.

But then COSTCO!




Suddenly Costco began stocking slabs of pork belly roughly the size of a pillowcase.  Of course, I bought three.

At the same time, I discovered Foodspin, with a collection of (sort of) recipes that are not only delectable, but some of the funniest food reads ever.  Some of my favorites include:

and just what I needed to launch my Costco pork belly adventure:

Seriously, if you flip over there right now and read it, I won't be offended.  I'll be laughing right along with you in spirit.  But if you'd rather cut straight to the nitty-gritty, (or maybe you just don't care for a lot of swears,) you can save the hilarity for another time, and that's cool, too.  In that case, read on and I will show you how I cooked pork belly as per the potty-mouthed culinary genius(es) responsible for Foodspin:

1.  Take a thawed slab of pork belly, lay it fat-side-up on a cutting board, and dry it with a paper towel.  Then, score the slab diagonally with a sharp knife, and rub a drizzle of olive oil into the meat on both sides.

2.  Make a dry rub using a teaspoon each of garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt, and a tablespoon of brown sugar.  Mix this all up, and rub it all over both sides of your belly.  (You know I mean the pork belly, right?)  Now bag it up, and park it in the fridge for about an hour.


3.  Heat your oven to 500 degrees Farenheit.  Place your pork belly fat-side-up on a rack in a roasting pan, and pop it into that hot, hot oven for 10 or 15 minutes until it gets brown and the fat starts to sizzle and bubble.  (You're going to want to watch this.  Partly because you don't want to let it burn.  Partly because it will prove the existence of a benevolent God.)



4.  Then turn the oven down to 325 degrees Farenheit, and walk away for 90 minutes.

5.  After the 90 minutes is up, pour a bottle of beer into the roasting pan and let it cook another hour.


6.  When that hour is up, remove your pork belly from the oven, and let it cool on a cutting board for about 15 minutes.


7.  Now cut it up into hunks or shred it or whatever, but get that belly into your belly.


8.  Regain consciousness and return to Costco to buy nine more pork bellies!  Hey, they freeze just fine...



Pork Belly
Created by Chris Thompson of foodspin.deadspin.com and provided by grannyfab.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

Instructions:
Pork belly **
A drizzle of olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bottle of beer




** Depending on the size of the slab you buy, you may want to slice it into smaller portions and freeze some.  This recipe was tested on a slab 10-12 inches long.

1.    Dry the thawed pork belly with a paper towel and place it fat-side-up on a cutting board.
2.    Score the meat diagonally and rub with a drizzle of olive oil.
3.    Combine the spices and sugar into a dry mixture and rub on all sides of the meat.  Place in a plastic bag and chill for at least one hour.
4.    Heat your oven to 500F.
5.    Place the pork belly on a rack in a roasting pan and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until brown and bubbly.
6.    Reduce heat to 425F and cook 90 minutes.
7.    Pour 1 bottle of beer into the roasting pan and cook 1 additional hour.


28 comments:

  1. I'm convinced! That looks amazing! Now to see if my stores carry pork belly, we don't have a costco nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Carlee, Costco giveth and Costco taketh away... I love shopping there; they have good products and good prices, but maybe a little TOO good! I hope my kids aren't expecting a big inheritance. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Visiting from Tip Me Tuesday. That Pork Belly is making my mouth water! I might have to see if I can find some at the grocery and try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my fingers crossed for you, Jen. I hope you find it and try it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Omg this look soooo delicious, pinning it to make it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Costco, I love Pinterest best! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I should thank you or swear. :) We have three Costco's that are very close to us. I am in so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up! I really love my Costco, but I'm glad we don't have three of them!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks incredible. And fairly easy! I have never made pork belly before, but have had it at restaurants...looks like I'll have to go for it soon!! :-) Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday! Nice to meet you. :-)
    Bethany @ The Happy Habit Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who have tried pork belly (myself included) are pretty sure they want to try it again! I hope you give it a try. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. OMG your sense of humor is fantastic! I love that title image, it had me LOLing right away. I've never made pork belly, but after reading this I think I might have to give it a try. I don't have a Costco membership...yet, but I do have a few other places to check first. I just might have to dive in and get a membership if I can't find it anywhere, you made pork belly look exceptionally good! Thanks again for linking up to the Sunshine Life Link Up! Keep sharing the awesome, I'm so glad you join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to join your party! I'm glad you get me. :)

      Delete
  7. this looks sooo good! thanks for linking up with the Wednesday showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely amazing! Pinned and tweeted. You always bring the most amazing creations to our party. Thank you! I hope to see you again, this Monday at 7 pm. It wouldn't be a party without you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost taste your fabulous Pork Belly, this is a great recipe. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. NEVER cooked with beer before. This looks amazing though. The way you talk about it: makes me hungry!! Thank you for linking this up at SHARE IT 33. A new party will open again tonight/tomorrow and we hope to see you there again! Maybe with some Halloween cooking/baking idea??!! ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I, Rose! I give it a thumbs up after this.

      Delete
  11. This looks so delicious! Visiting from #MMBH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your recipe for Pork Belly sure does sound and look delicious. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I found your party, and I'll be back.

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! I bet your home smelled wonderful while this was cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love pork belly and this looks great. Thanks for sharing with us at #WednesdaysWisdom.

    ReplyDelete