Thanks to my weekly CSA delivery service, I have enough tomatoes to feed an army. But only if the army is really, really hungry.
At times like this, I turn to my bff Pinterest. That's where I found a terrific recipe for a delicious and simple Tomato and Chickpea Salad on Rachel Schultz's "A Household Almanac" blog.
I recently served this salad alongside another of Rachel's creations which she calls the "World's Best Chicken," and which I call Desperation Chicken because, together, these two recipes saved my life. Well, they saved dinner one night when I forgot to cook. Or shop.
All it takes is:
- a pint of cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- a can of chickpeas, drained
- a cup of chopped, fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a simple vinaigrette of 1/2 teaspoon honey, 2 teaspoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar (I like my homemade citrus vinegar.)
- a bit of salt and pepper, of course.
Just mix all these ingredients together and refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving. Delicious!
What is your favorite way to use a bounty of fresh tomatoes?
Tomato Chickpea Salad
Created by Rachel Schultz and provided by grannyfab.blogspot.com
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
1 can of chick peas, drained
1 cup chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Chop the tomatoes into slices or quarters.
2. Add tomatoes, chick peas, basil and garlic to a bowl.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients and add to the bowl.
4. Chill and serve.